Good morning friends and welcome to another Monthly DIY Challenge!
I absolutely love teaming up with my talented bloggy friends each month to see the different ideas we can come up with from the very same starting point! Last month we featured all sorts of Dollar Store DIY’s and this month had us shopping from the trash can (or recycling bin for my fellow environmentally conscious friends!).
Having taken on the One Room Challenge this Spring, our life has been totally consumed with painting, plank walls and all things cabin themed! Haven’t heard of the One Room Challenge? You can read all about the craziness we got ourselves into signing on here! Due to our current preoccupation with all things Big Boy Bedroom, we couldn’t help combining forces in our two challenges this month with this custom DIY Plank Wall Art that we put together with a few scraps from Carson’s plank wall.
I know I’ve been saying this a lot lately, but I was pleasantly surprised with how easy these were to make! The hardest part was getting up the guts to finally get started (more on that below!).
We started by scrounging up every last piece of scrap wood we could get our hands on. Brady built me up three wooden bases in about 2.2 seconds by simply cutting down the boards to size and screwing them all into a couple of 1×4 boards running the opposite way across the back.
Then, came the part I’d been dreading the most …
The truth: I’d actually been leaving this project until the bitter end of our One Room Challenge deadline simply because I was dreading having to figure out how to use my newest crafting splurge, my Silhouette Cameo (*affiliate link). I bought myself one last year when they went on crazy huge sale in November for Christmas (yes, I buy myself Christmas gifts sometimes!). I’ve seen the amazing things you can do with the Silhouette and I just knew I needed one of these amazing machines in my life!
But then, it sat and sat (and sat) in my crafting closet for months and months (and months)! Trouble was, though I knew it could do amazing things, I had no idea how to make it do those amazing things. I’m terrible with technology and just thinking about having to teach myself how to use this thing was totally and completely overwhelming. Luckily this One Room Challenge came along and, like it had in so many other ways, it pushed me to finally pull my Silhouette out of that box! Turns out the fear of the unknown was so much worse than my actual experience! Hmmmm, isn’t that almost always the case?!
So, what did I do with this crazy contraption after I pulled it out of the box and got it all plugged in. I … wait for it … read the manual! Yep, the super short five (or so) page manual told me everything I needed to know to create the silhouettes for my project. I purchased a couple of images from the official Silhouette shop online, loaded them into my Library as per the directions in my manual. After measuring the size of my pallet, I set a measurement onto the software for the image to be cut to. Then I simply loaded my blade (set to the #2 setting according to my ever handy manual), fed the vinyl into the loader (again, directions for it all in the manual) and CUT.
I will say, that old adage to measure twice and cut once would have been a helpful one to remember as I wasted
a bit a lot of vinyl trying to find the right size, but that’s a looong (and slightly embarrassing) story that I won’t get into today.
For the sake of complete disclosure (and perhaps a shout out to to say THANKS!), I should tell you that I did consult with one of my bloggy besties Erica at Dwell Beautiful who has recently been named an official Silhouette Blogger – but, that was mainly for moral support.
I’ll tell ya, this is one of those times when all of those life lessons about facing your fears comes to fruition because it rally was SO much easier than I ever imagined!!!
Anyway, deep life lessons aside, it was time to get back to work.
After removing the backing, I carefully placed my new stickers onto the pallets moving them around as needed until I got them just where I wanted them. I made sure to press them down to the wood as best I could so that no paint or stain would sneak through. You may notice that I made use of the actual stickers that were printed with two of the pallets, but I also used the outer portion of one moose to create an area to paint inside too (that plain ol’ green moose).
Next it was time to slap on a layer of stain or paint. In the examples below, I placed the vinyl stickers straight onto the raw wood and then added a coat of my fave new Weatherwood Stain on top to create that perfectly weathered look (you can read more about how it all works and see it in action on our new plank wall here). For the record, I might just have added a coat of this awesome stain to the other two pallets too before adding their stickers. For those other two pallets I just added a light(ish) coat of Country Chic Chalk Paint in Rustic Charm over the stickers.
Then, once everything was dry, I peeled the vinyl off to reveal this…
After nailing in a couple of picture hooks to the back of each piece, these babies were ready to hang!
I cannot even believe how long it’s taken me to pull that fabulous machine out of the box! Honestly, figuring it all out was SO much easier to use than I had imagined! I’m already dying to put it to work on my next project!!!
Check it out how I used this art in our new Rustic Big Boy Bedroom!
Don’t miss these other DIY projects we put together for this Rustic Boy’s Bedroom! I’ll be sure to update this list as new tutorials are posted:
Now, be sure to hop around the links below to see what my talented bloggy friends came up with for this month’s challenge too!
Wishing you SUCH a lovely day!
I can't wait to hear your thoughts!