These delicious little lemon cake donuts were so quick + easy to whip up and make for a perfect light desert or sweet snack!
All right friends, it’s time again for another instalment of our cozy living series, hosted by my friend Jennifer at Town & Country Living. I always look forward to seeing the cozy inspiration that everyone has to share each month!
This month, I wanted to share one of my favourite Springtime recipes with you – these light and fluffy Lemon Cake Donuts are always a go -to this time of year.
There’s nothing cozier than an early morning baking session, warm coffee in hand, just as the house starts to wake up.
The smells of fresh baking fill the air, making the whole house feel all warm + cozy.
I’ve always loved all things lemon, but especially so through Spring – there’s just something so light + fresh that draws me to lemon this time of year.
So today, for this month’s cozy living I just couldn’t resist sharing these simple Lemon Cake Donuts…
Simple Lemon Cake Donuts
- 1 3/4 cup unbleached flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp lemon zest (2 lemons)
- 3 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar (for dusting before baking)
- 2 tbsp powdered sugar (for dusting after baking)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Spray the cavities of (2) donut pans with cooking spray and set aside (these are my favourites).
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a large bowl, whisk the sugar, eggs and oil for about 1 minute. Then, add the buttermilk, vanilla, lemon zest, lemon juice and whisk until well blended.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir until just combined, taking care not to over mix.
- Pour evenly into the (12) cavities of the prepared donut pans. Sprinkle with granulated sugar (this helps them to crisp up slightly).
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until slightly browned and an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack in the pan for 5 minutes, then remove from the pan and cool completely on the wire rack.
- Dust with powdered sugar (here’s my favourite sifter – it has a lid!) and enjoy!
I hope you love these simple Lemon Cake Donuts as much as we do! Not only are they quick + simple to whip up, they make for the perfect light desert or sweet snack all Spring and Summer long.
Now, don’t forget to check out the other cozy living ideas below:
Duke Manor Farm / Making It In the Mountains / Creative Cain Cabin
Finding Silver Pennies / Town and Country Living
Wishing you SUCH a lovely weekend!
PS. This post may contain affiliate links. For more information please see our disclosure and privacypolicies.
I can't wait to hear your thoughts!